20 Scholarships for Black Students to Apply to Now
72% of black students go into debt from college expenses. This is in comparison to the 56% of white students who experience debt.
Here’s more food for thought: 19% of black students have a bachelor’s degree by age 25 while 33% of white Americans do.
Many organizations and universities are working to close this disproportionate racial gap. They want to encourage more black students to go to college and graduate without building up a huge debt. One way they’re doing this is by awarding scholarships.
Black students can find scholarships from an endless amount of groups and organizations. Colleges, fraternities, sororities, churches, organizations, and corporations all award scholarships.
Scholarships for black students exist for every level of education. There are scholarships for bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees.
For students of any group, especially underrepresented groups, there is an abundance of scholarships. Black students should apply to as many scholarships as possible.
Many scholarships have very specific requirements. They might look for applicants who study at a specific institution. They might also award students of a specific hometown.
There are also scholarships for gender and major.
We’re going to show you how you to win thousands of dollars for your college education. We’re also going to share 20 awesome scholarships black students should apply to today.
Scholarships for Gender
Being a black man or women each brings its own set of challenges. These challenges are especially evident in the workplace.
Plenty of scholarships for black men and black women exist. While each is unique, they serve a similar purpose; to encourage more black students to go to college.
The Alvaro L. Martins Scholarship Program is for high-achieving black male students. Applicants must be undergraduate students at an HBCU (Historically black Colleges and Universities).
Ten students win $8,000. Eight more students win $5,000. Students must write an essay on their passion and chosen career path. They must also submit a video.
Being a woman brings with it a whole slew of challenges in the workforce. Being a black woman can be even more challenging.
Black women can find numerous scholarships to apply to.
The Wynetta A. Frazier “Sister-to-Sister” Scholarship awards black women pursuing their graduate degree. Applicants must be returning students who took a break in their education because of family needs.
Scholarships by Major
Black students can find many scholarships based on their specific major. There are many scholarships in fields where black students are underrepresented. For example, STEM majors can find an especially large amount of STEM scholarships to apply to.
Black at Microsoft Scholarships awards students with $5,000 renewable scholarships. Applicants must be high school seniors interested in technology. Five students receive $1,500.
Black sophomores in a STEM major can apply to the Jesse Jackson Fellows-Toyota Scholarship. The renewable scholarship awards students with up to $25,000. Applicants must have a GPA of at least a 3.0.
Students who love fashion can apply to the Gucci Changemakers Scholarship Award Program. The scholarship program awards two underrepresented students with up to $20,000 per year. Applicants must be graduating high school seniors planning to study fashion design.
If you’re thinking that you need extremely high grades to win scholarships, you’ll be happy to know that you’re very wrong! Having this mindset could prevent you from applying and winning thousands of dollars in scholarship money.
Many scholarships only ask that applicants have a GPA higher than 2.5. There are even scholarships that don’t take a student’s grades into consideration.
Scholarship committees aren’t always looking for the star of the class, or football team. They want to see applicants who have passion, drive, and determination.
Personal statements are your place to prove who you are. Show them why you deserve to win the scholarship, because you do!
20 Scholarships for Black Students to Apply to Now
To help you get started with your search, here are twenty awesome scholarships you can apply to right now:
- UNCF General Scholarship Black undergraduate and graduate students can win $5,000. Applicants must be attending a UNCF member college or university. They also must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Boule Foundation Scholarship Black students going to college for the first time can apply to this scholarship. Two students win $2,500. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Trustee Diversity Scholarship Students beginning their freshman year at Rice University may apply. The scholarship award is between $25,500-$27,000.
- Goldman Sachs Scholarship for Excellence This scholarship awards underrepresented students in the financial services industry. Black, Latino, and Native American students may apply. Applicants must have a minimum 3.4 GPA. They also must be in their sophomore or junior year. The award is $10,000.
- Coastal Advertising Marketing Professionals Diversity Scholarship Undergraduate minority students may apply. They must major in an advertising-related field. Students must be finished with their first semester in college. Select schools in North and South Carolina are eligible. Students can win $250 or more.
- The DiversityAbroad.com Study Abroad Blogging Scholarship awards underrepresented undergraduate students. Students must participate in a study abroad program through DiversityAbroad.com. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.75. They must also be attending an accredited college or university. There are five awards for $500.
- African/African-American Nursing Student Scholarship Nursing students at Cedarville University may apply. Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Manhattan Central Medical Society Scholarship Black medical students in New York may apply. Freshman, sophomore, and junior students are eligible. Awards are for $2,000.
- Diversity Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Undergraduate and graduate students may apply. Students must be out-of-state students studying at the University of Idaho. They must have a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Gerber Scholarship in Pediatrics Program Minority medical students can win $5,000. Applicants must have an interest in pediatrics and nutrition.
- INROADS Internship Program This program matches underrepresented students with paid internships. Applicants must be attending a Historically black College or University. They should have an interest in business, engineering, computer sciences, sales, and marketing. A minimum 3.3 GPA is required.
- The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program This scholarship awards high achieving minority students. Applicants must have a financial need. 300 students become scholars every year. They can pursue any major of their choice, at any college or university.
- NBMBAA scholarship Graduate students enrolled full-time in a business degree program may apply. They must be an active member of the National black MBA Association. A 3.0 minimum GPA is required. Applicants should have leadership experience.
- EPP Undergraduate Scholars Program Sophomore students at a minority-serving institute may apply. Junior students in a five-year program may also apply. Applicants must major in atmospheric, oceanic, or environmental sciences. A minimum 3.2 GPA is required.
- The Ron Brown Scholar Program High school seniors may apply. They must show academic excellence and leadership. Ron Brown Scholars can win a $40,000 scholarship.
- Science Systems and Applications, Inc. (SSAI) Underrepresented Student Scholarship Undergraduate students may apply. They must be majoring in physics or a related field. They also must be members of the SPS national organization. They can win $2,000.
- EGIF Scholarship Graduating high school black males may apply. They must have a minimum 3.0 GPA. They also must be involved in extracurricular activities. The award is for $5,000.
- Joshua David Gardner Memorial Scholarship black students pursuing their undergraduate degree may apply. They must be studying full-time at an accredited university. They also must be under 25 with a minimum 2.8 GPA. The award is $2,000.
- George Washington Carver Scholarship Freshman and transfer minority students may apply. Awards are from $22,000 to 3/4 of tuition. The scholarship is renewable. Applicants must have a minimum 2.25 GPA.
- Lockheed Martin awards as many as 200 renewable scholarships. Scholarship awards are for $10,000. On top of the monetary award, students also receive mentoring.
All across America, salaries are higher for those with a bachelor’s degree. It’s more important than ever to go to college.
It’s understandable to be discouraged by high costs. But these don’t need to knock you down.
If you have a financial need, going to college is possible. If you are starting your undergraduate degree or master’s, you can find scholarships to get you there.
The information provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. It is intended to provide opinions and educational information. It is not intended as individual advice and should not be taken as substitute for professional advice. We assume no responsibility for errors or mistakes. In no event is ScholarshipOwl or the individual authors liable for any special, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages, arising out of or in connection with the use the Service or information provided. We reserve the right to make deletions, additions, or modifications to the content at any given time without prior notice. We may link to third party websites. In some cases we may be compensated on an affiliate basis when users take certain actions. In order to comply with FTC guidelines we want to be transparent that ScholarshipOwl may get compensated by companies and/or partners based on an affiliate or advertiser partnership. We might get compensated for example for mentioning partners, by you, the user, making a clicking, purchasing, or signing up for a product or service through a tracking link. In no way are we responsible for the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any information on these external websites.