Info about the Kiwanis Scholarship Award
The Kiwanis Scholarship program provides financial aid opportunities. Is it available to Key Club and Circle K International Members. Donors contribute money to the Children’s Fund, an extension of Kiwanis. That money is used to fund disaster relief efforts, club grants, and college scholarships. Read on to learn how to apply for a Kiwanis Scholarship and which award is right for you.
Who Is Eligible for Kiwanis Scholarships?
Most Kiwanis scholarships are designed for Key Club or Circle K International members. Key Club is the high school division of Kiwanis. Circle K is the college division. Different awards have different eligibility requirements, but almost all of them require membership. There are occasionally opportunities for non-members (See “Kiwanis Scholarships for Non-Members” below).
Scholarships for Key Club Members (High School Seniors)
Listed below are the current Kiwanis scholarships for high school seniors:
- Cunat International Scholarship: Created by former Kiwanis District Governor Brian Cunat and his wife, Miki. This award is worth $2,500 and is available to graduating high school seniors in Key Club.
- Harry S. Himmel Scholarship: This $500 scholarship was created in honor of Harry Himmel. Himmel served as the Children’s Fund president for 10 years, in addition to other leadership roles in Kiwanis. The award is available for graduating seniors in good standing with Key Club.
- Linda Canaday Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship is in honor of Linda Canaday, First Lady of Kiwanis for 2008-2009. The award is $2,500. Applicants must be graduating seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher. This is only available for students who have been in Key Club for at least two years.
Scholarships for Circle K Members (College Students)
Listed below are the Kiwanis scholarship offers for college students:
- Cunat International Scholarship: Separate from the Cunat scholarship above. This award is for college students in good standing with Circle K International. It is also worth $2,500.
- Harry S. Himmel Scholarship: This Himmel scholarship, like the high school counterpart, is $500. It is for Circle K members in college.
- John E. Mayfield Circle K Scholarship: This scholarship is funded by longstanding Kiwanis member John Mayfield. He established the scholarship program in 2015. The award is $1,000. Applicants must be college students in good standing with Circle K with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Circle K International Past President’s Scholarship: This scholarship program is exclusively for current CKI presidents. It was established in 1990. The award is $1,000, but there is no minimum GPA requirement.
Kiwanis Scholarships for Non-Members
At this time, there are no Kiwanis scholarships for non-members. Because these scholarships are privately funded, that could change in the coming years. On the Kiwanis scholarship FAQ page, the club encourages non-members to contact their schools or local chapters to learn about additional opportunities.
How to Apply for Kiwanis Scholarship Awards
Each Kiwanis scholarship has its own application packet. Follow the links provided in the list above. Or, you can access the Scholarship Opportunities page of the Kiwanis website. Then select the PDF file for the scholarship that interests you. The PDF will have a section for you to fill out. It will explain which documents to include with the application. Most applications require:
- A high school or college transcript that includes information about the school’s grading system
- Two letters of recommendation from Kiwanis advisors, school officials, fellow club members or community leaders
- A 200 word essay explaining how your education will help impact the lives of others
- The PDF application – filled out, signed and dated
Mail the entire application packet to the address on the PDF form. Each application has its own address for submissions. Complete the application well in advance to get it in before the deadline on March 15. Applications become available on December 1 each year.
Note that you cannot mail your transcript or other documents separately. All the documents must go in the same packet, and mailed at the same time. The scholarships have hundreds of applicants each year, so Kiwanis is strict about their guidelines.
Kiwanis Scholarship Application Deadline and Winner Announcement
Kiwanis Scholarship applications must be received by March 15. Not submitted by, but received by. This is to ensure that your application arrives in time to review. Mail it in at least two weeks in advance with a tracking number. You cannot submit your application by fax or email, so you will need to re-submit it if it does not arrive properly.
Kiwanis will notify the winners by May 31. They will post a list of scholarship recipients on the Children’s Fund website by July 1.